2012-2017 AMATYC Strategic Plan
(Adopted SBM 2011)
(download PDF version)
Priority I – Provide professional development opportunities to all two-year college faculty.
- Enhance the traditional opportunities for professional development.
- Develop opportunities for professional development that utilize emerging technologies.
- Provide professional development focused on mentoring of faculty especially faculty new to teaching in two-year colleges.
- Advocate for the importance of and provide opportunities for professional development for adjunct faculty.
Priority II – Promote research on student learning in two-year colleges.
- Promote research focused on student learning, acknowledging the impact that technology and data driven decisions have on education.
- Provide training to faculty interested in conducting classroom research.
- Pursue grants and other means of financial support for classroom research in teaching and student learning.
- Advocate for the continued improvement of textbooks and other instructional resources based on the lessons learned from classroom research.
- Advocate for faculty, departments, and colleges to institute innovative practices informed by research.
- Disseminate resources and best practices on teaching and learning to facilitate faculty development.
Priority III – Promote the review and improvement of two-year college mathematics curricula.
- Support and promote the development and assessment of high quality mathematics education for all students.
- Maintain a leading role in structuring a strong developmental mathematics experience for all students.
- Promote the consensus on the essential mathematics that students need in order to succeed in their chosen academic or career fields.
- Increase participation in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) courses and programs through contacts with industry.
- Support the appropriate use of emerging technologies to promote an understanding of mathematics and its applications.
- Support continuous improvement of online/distance learning and continuous improvement of online delivered courses.
Priority IV – Build and promote communities of educators in lower division collegiate mathematics across departments and institutions.
- Strengthen and expand the relationship between AMATYC and its affiliate organizations.
- Encourage membership among individuals interested or involved in mathematics instruction in the first two years of college.
- Expand opportunities for networking (locally, nationally, and internationally) of those interested in the first two years of collegiate mathematics to share ideas and provide support.
- Expand the relationship among instructors at two-year colleges and other faculty Pre-K–20.
Priority V – Communicate the vision, core values, mission, and goals of AMATYC and promote awareness of the organization.
- Maintain and promote the visibility of AMATYC at the national level as the primary voice for mathematics education during the first two years of college.
- Promote an understanding of the mission of two-year colleges and their mathematics programs.
- Be a strong voice for two-year college mathematics education.
- Develop and maintain relevant standards for two-year college mathematics education.
- Expand relationships with other organizations interested in the goals and objectives of AMATYC and interested in promoting quality mathematics education.
- Encourage the involvement of two-year college educators in state and national, Pre-K–20 initiatives.
- Work to increase state and national funding for two-year college mathematics education.